Search our listings:
 


BACKSTAGE WITH MARIAN
Blog Background
Story outtakes, celebrity confessions and the latest pop culture news in the Bay Area

About Me
I'm a pop music writer for the San Jose Mercury News. I cover pop, hip hop, punk, rock, dance, and ethnic - well, basically everything you can dance to.

My Articles

MY PICKS
CD: Common:"Be"
Music Video Eminem: featuring Triumph the Insult Comic Dog
Trailer: The Year of the Yao
TV: Harvey Birdman
Videogame: Fable

MERCURY REVIEWS
Art: The New Art of India
Bar: Boswell's
Book: Jill Scott
Club: Forum
DVD: Kinsey
Movie: Cinderella Man
Music: Sleater-Kinney
Restaurant: The Melting Pot
Theater:The Mambo Kings

SICK SITE
Earth and Sun Kiss

MY PLAYLIST

1. R. Kelly: "Trapped In The Closet"

2. Weezer: "Hold Me"

3. Bright Eyes: "First Day Of My Life"

4. Ringside: "Miss You" and "Criminal"

ENTERTAINMENT RESOURCES
  • Billboard Charts
  • Encyclopedia
  • iticket.com
  • Moviefone
  • Music Dictionary
  • MTV
  • Pollstar
  • tickets.com
  • Urban Dictionary
  • ticketmaster.com
  • VH1

  • BLOGROLL
  • Adisa Banjoko : San Jose's Bishop of Hip hop
  • Angry Asian Man: Asian American media watchdog
  • Berkeley Blogs
  • Black Electorate : Inside Cultural, Economic and Political industries
  • BLT's Parry
  • Crayone: the trials and tribulations of a graffiti artist
  • Dan Gillmor : Grassroots Journalism
  • Dat Phan : Last Comic Standing season 1 winner
  • East Bay Livin' : Ellen Lee's EB hunt
  • Davey D: Hip Hop Daily News
  • Fortt: black american gen x journalist musician multicultural christian technophile
  • Jeff Chang: fellow Asian hip hop writer
  • Joe Grimm : Ask the Recruiter
  • In Passing : Random Street Conversations
  • Pacific Standard: Bay Area hip-hop
  • Pop And Politics
  • Pop Licks : O-Dub, a cultural critic
  • Scape: San Jose graffiti artist
  • SiliconBeat: News about tech money and innovation
  • Tuesday, May 24, 2005

    Jill Scott, the Mandarin Macbeth and Madagascar plus later Bomb, R. Kelly and Madagascar

    Ch-check out my story today on Jill Scott. (Here's the link.) She was lovely to interview and made an interesting comment about the image of women in videogames like Tekken.

    As for this last weekend, I checked out the Peking Opera version of Macbeth. I wasn't sure what to expect and only had their descriptions to go on - like the backdrop of Scotland was exchanged for the warring period of Ancient China.

    But, I was thorougly impressed.

    As a child, while others wanted to join the circus, I had a quirky dream of joining the Peking Opera. I have many a embarrasing photos of me striking an Opera pose. So, when I was in Beijing last summer, I caught a show. But somehow I liked this Macbeth revision much better. The costumes were brilliant.

    There were changes to Macbeth however. The Opera version of Lady Macbeth was a much more sympathetic creature. This passage is completely missing:
    Come you spirits
    That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here,
    And fill me from the crown to the toe top-full
    Of direst cruelty. Make thick my blood.
    Stop up th'access and passage to remorse,
    That no compunctious visitings of nature
    Shake my fell purpose, nor keep peace between
    Th'effect and it. Come to my woman's breasts
    And take my milk for gall, you murd'ring ministers (I.v 47-55).
    And her miscarriage comes at the very end before her suicide, making you feel bad for her, not hate her for being an evil mastermind.

    If you check in later, I'll preview some inside info on....
    1. 94.9's Bomb Veinte backstage details
    2. Dreamworks' new funny movie Madagascar
    3. R. Kelly's "Trapped in The Closet Part 3"

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home

     
    Photo of Marian Liu by Stephanie Grace Lim, Mercury News
    You can e-mail me at mliu@mercurynews.com.